About Us - Bike Taupō
Bike Taupō Advocacy Group
Bike Taupō is a cycling advocacy group, which was formalised in October 2002 to create a community representation for Taupo cyclists.
In the Taupō District the group aims to encourage the use of cycles for transport and recreation by:
- Promoting cycling as a healthy, environmentally friendly and convenient form of transport
- Working for improved conditions and image of cyclists and cycling
- Encouraging the use of cycles for transport and recreation
- Educating cyclists and other road users to order to improve safety and awareness of cyclists
- Lobbying the case for cycling in public debate and to relevant authorities
- Advocating the implementation of the Taupō District Council Cycle Strategy document
The group has a dedicated committee of nine persons who strive to provide the Taupō community with a voice for cycling. We work along side the council in promoting education and awareness and changes to infrastructure to encourage Taupō as being the most cycle friendly town in New Zealand.
As if we haven't got enough to do, some of the team are masters at building mountain bike tracks and have steadily built up and maintain an extensive network that has been accreditated by the International Mountain Biking Association as a Silver Level Ride Centre. One of our biggest ongoing projects is the building of the NZCT Great Lake Trail. This asset is not only creating long term economic benefits for our region, but also putting smiles on faces of those who ride it.